[OM] What's a bargain?

Subject: [OM] What's a bargain?
From: Andrew Gullen <andrew.gullen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 01 Dec 2004 19:42:50 -0500
I just received a "bargain" grade 35-105/2.8 from KEH. Optics are lovely,
cosmetics are definitely user. Just my kind of equipment.

There's just one problem: the zoom action is stiff and jerky. Enough that it
will be a problem photographing people, or anything else that moves quickly.
For static subjects it would just be an annoyance. I'm thinking of asking
them to fix it. Normally I expect things to be working properly unless
stated otherwise - but this is in a grey area.

Are my expectations of "bargain" too high? Their description says:
  "Bargain" 70-79% of original condition. Shows more than average wear.
  May have dents, dings and a goodly amount of brassing and finish loss.
  Glass may have marks that should not affect picture quality.

No mention of mechanicals unfortunately.

BTW, this is the second (of two) bargain items that have had problems that
should have been caught on a basic inspection. Maybe I've just been unlucky;
others have reported better experiences.

Andrew