[OM] Re: OT Flat Bed Scanners DRAFT

Subject: [OM] Re: OT Flat Bed Scanners DRAFT
From: Andrew Gullen <andrew.gullen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 01 Dec 2004 07:11:51 -0500
on 2004/11/29 11:26 PM, Moose at olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Its very
> interesting to me that the higher resolution actually resulted in
> apparently smaller and less prominent grain that the lower dpi scan.
> I'm not sure if more detail is resolved, but more is visible, at least
> partly because it was obscured by the 'grain', and shadow detail is a
> bit better.
>
> I seem to recall examples of higher dpi resulting in grain aliasing on
> some fine grained film. Here is is clearly striking at lower dpi with a
> grainier film, mid 90s AGFA 200RS.

If the theory is correct, it important to keep the scanning spatial sampling
rate (dpi) away from the average grain size and spacing. Shifting either way
would do it. Also, depending on film grain, different resolutions would give
trouble.

Seems to me as I approach scanner purchase that the smartest thing is to buy
a scanner with a resolution above whatever I want to scan, then reduce the
resolution in post-processing appropriately (now that fast hardware and big
disks are cheap).

Andrew