[OM] Re: Philips; cross-point; posi-drive; Robertson

Subject: [OM] Re: Philips; cross-point; posi-drive; Robertson
From: "Earl Dunbar" <edunbar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2004 22:54:18 -0500
I have NEVER heard a Canadian pronounce it "uh-BOOT", as several have implied.
A common pronunciation is to add just a bit more "u" vowel sound, so it
=sounds= more like "uh-boot" (or "hoose") to those who are used to hearing "uh
BOWT", as in "ouch".  But it is actually just that the duration of the "u"
sound is very slightly longer.  What non-Canajian speakers do is over-emphasize
the difference so as to create a stereotype.

I think the influence is Scottish more than anything else, eh?  People think of
present day Canada as being founded by the English and French, which in
actuality from a cultural viewpoint it's closer to Scottish and French.  I
won't go down the road of the real founding cultures, the aboriginal nations of
Canada, lest I stir up major OT traffic.

Earl