[OM] Re: Fungus in mirror chamber

Subject: [OM] Re: Fungus in mirror chamber
From: Joe Gwinn <joegwinn@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2004 23:50:38 -0500
At 3:34 AM +0100 11/30/04, Listar wrote:
>Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2004 07:37:47 -0200
>Subject: [OM] Re: Fungus in mirror chamber
>From: Fernando Gonzalez Gentile <fgnzalez@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
>on 29/11/2004 02:15, Gary Teller at gmteller@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>
>>  my OM2.  The whole body,
>>  including the mirror box, was pretty musty and mildewed when I found it.  I
>>  cleaned everything with denatured alcohol.
>
>So, no chamber paint damage? Good, good !! ... :^)
>
>  > By rubber band grip I'm assuming you're referring to the focusing ring
>  > grip.  What happened?  I've used denatured alcohol to clean the rubber
>>  grips on quite a few lenses including some Zuikos.  In fact, I just cleaned
>>  the grip on a junked 50/1.8 with no adverse results.
>
>Yes, sorry for my 'senior moment'. The the focusing ring
>grip, that's it. Well it unglued and stretched badly -not like the focusing
>ring grip of my 200/4 which unglued but stretched moderately- and got
>plasticky. I assumed it was due to a generous amount af alcohol (rubbing),
>perhaps not. I've avoided alcohol for this use since then...

I doubt that the alcohol had anything to do with it.  Some kinds of
"rubber" are not really rubber, being urethane or some thermoplastic
elastomer, and are somewhat fragile chemically.  Ozone in the air
(from pollution) and/or sunlight and/or people grease can cause them
to "revert" (back into the gooey monomer from which the rubber is
made).

I had the "Kraton" (a brand name for a kind of synthetic rubber)
sides of a Kershaw (name of manufacturer) pocket knife turn to goo
after a year or two of carriage in my pocket.  Very unpleasant to
handle or even touch.  Not worth fixing; threw the knife away and
bought another, one with carbon fiber-epoxy sides.

Joe Gwinn