[OM] Re: Fungus in mirror chamber

Subject: [OM] Re: Fungus in mirror chamber
From: Gary Teller <gmteller@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2004 23:31:47 -0500
Gary wrote:
 >> Fortunately, the stuff comes off with careful applications of denatured
alcohol.

Fernando replied:

 >Good news :^)
 >Doesn't alcohol damage the chamber's black paint?
 >This surprises me in a very cheerful way. Thought I would have to paint
 >chamber black !!

Fernando,

I've never damaged the black paint.  Then again, I've never cleaned this
stuff from an OM camera-just the other major SLR's.  Maybe OM's are more
delicate than Nikons, etc. Keep in mind that I use a wiping paper designed
for delicate applications and rub with light pressure.  Sometimes a whitish
streak is left.  For that I simply wet a lint free cloth, wrap the wet part
around my finger and wipe away the white residue.

At the risk of opening up yet another seemingly endless discussion of just
what is denatured alcohol,  how it compares to other alcohols and solvents,
and what name the same product is known by in other countries I will quote
from my can: "contains alcohols [alcohóles]) (67-56-1; 64-17-5; 67-63-0)
and Ketones [cetonas](108-10-1).  Non photochemically reactive.  I have no
clue what those numbers mean.

Use at your own risk, of course. It's flammable. I use this stuff to clean
the exteriors of dirty cameras and lenses as well as to clean the lenses'
glass.  As with many chemically based products, apply to a small test area
first to gauge the reaction/result.  I learned the hard way that the
numbers on the shutter speed dial of an old Kodak Retina were printed
rather than engraved.  You can imagine my surprise which was followed by
that sinking feeling of knowing the camera, with a few missing numbers, was
worth half what it was before I cleaned it.

Gary