[OM] Re: M-mount -- Luminous-Landscape RD-1 (OT)

Subject: [OM] Re: M-mount -- Luminous-Landscape RD-1 (OT)
From: Skip Williams <om2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2004 15:28:44 -0500
It's a much cooler, better designed, and well-thoughtout camera that I would
have thought possible.  It's amazing all the little neat things that they did
to improve the handling of the camera.  I don't really care for the little
analog dials, but if they hold up, I guess it will be OK.

Issues for me:

1. Price - $3k!  I guess that an expected 10k production volume doesn't mean
low prices built in China, huh?  I envision close-out or sale prices of $1750
in 12-15 months.

2. Wide angle lenses - no great options, as all RF designs lower than 28mm set
very close to the film plane, genering vignetting on the sensor.  A 21 becomes
an effective 32mm lens.  And the only 21's are Leica's Elmarit, CV 21/4, and
the new Zeiss Biogon (+ discontinued Kobalux 21/2.8).  The CV is slow for
indoors, the others are expensive.  And wider is even more of a problem, with
only the CV 15/4.5 and new Zeiss, $3800 15/2.8 available to equal a 23mm lens.

What would be nice would be a couple of digital, RF lenses, but I doubt whether
we'll see that.  At least Cosina has released some D Finders, with APS-C masks,
but they cost plenty.

Skip