[OM] Re: another 135mm, focal length no one likes

Subject: [OM] Re: another 135mm, focal length no one likes
From: "Earl Dunbar" <edunbar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2004 22:52:49 -0500
Bill states the nub of the case very well.  I also think it makes a difference
as to the type of portrait you are attempting.  Lenses longer than 100mm or so
tend to produce more of the fore-shortening effect, i.e., compression of space
so that shapes are not as well defined with respect to front-to-back depth.
(Note:  use of hyphens may not be up to spec, sorry in advance.)

So, many consider a 135's perspect to be just at the edge of "acceptability" in
that regard, but I've always felt, as Bill pointed out, that the result is the
real test.  A 50mm is not considered a "portrait lens", but many fine portraits
have been made with "normal" (or shorter) lenses in various formats, as they
encourage the photographer to include more of the environment.  Skillfully
done, this can add a lot to a portrait.

Earl