[OM] Re: Olympus to Compete

Subject: [OM] Re: Olympus to Compete
From: NSURIT@xxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2004 11:25:43 EST

In a message dated 11/24/2004 9:53:00 AM Central Standard Time,
jason.gidden@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

<snip>
and I wouldn't have carried my camera with film in it  through the  x-ray
equipment.  This is just one example of how  digital expands ones
possibilities
</snip>

Interesting  point Bill.  Still, I had enough trouble getting the purchase
of the  £250 scanner signed-off ;-)

I don't mean to take too lightly the resources needed to get ones digital
toe wet, however hope to encourage those who can make the finances work to go
ahead and do it.  For those who are on a tighter budget, I would still
encourage you to get the Olympus digital system on your radar screen.  One
nice
thing about the e system is your ability to build it while using many of  you
OM
lenses.

I will take the liberty of sharing a couple of "Bill's tips" on creating  the
money to do things you want to do.  Some years ago I set up, at  the bank, a
separate savings account for my travel funds, as travel is something  my wife
and I enjoy.  We began a habit of not ever paying for anything with  the exact
change.  Rather than do this, we always break a bill and then at  the end of
the day, we always put the change we have collected in a coin  roller.  When
we have accumulated $75 to $100 we carry it down to the bank  and deposit it in
the "travel" account.  This may sound silly, however this  silly idea has
taken us on many exciting trips around the world over the  years.  The nice
part
about it is when we decide to go someplace, we know  where the money is going
to come from and we don't have to try to work the trip  into our budget.  Not
having done this would have many of the wonderful  places we have been still
on our "One day, someday" list.

When I decided I really wanted to get a digital camera and the new computer
that went along with it, guess what I did?  Set up a separate savings  account
for computer and camera gear. I didn't use my change to fund  this one
because it was already going to the travel account, however I was  buying,
selling
and trading a bit of camera gear and the proceeds from that  activity went into
this account.

This separation of funds for specific purposes is something which can  work
for anything (retirement, vacation, home, education, etc.) and I would
encourage any who have not done it or are having trouble getting the required
funds
for something they want, to give it a try.  One additional bit  of advice to
make this work.  Once you have decided what it is you want and  have "labeled"
you separate account, make those funds sacred only to be used for  that
purpose.  If you start dipping into them for whatever "emergency" you  happen
have, you will likely never get what you want.  Oh, yes you do  need an
"emergency" fund and it should be the first one  you fund.  Having it allows
you to
have the others, which means you  can have the things you want.  Bill  Barber