[OM] Re: Scanners

Subject: [OM] Re: Scanners
From: jking@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2004 11:56:29 -0000 (GMT)
> I am currently trying to decide on a scanner. The two models at the top
> of my list are the Nikon LS-50 and the Minolta Sacan Elite 5400. I am
> not excluding cheaper models yet, it is just these two that I have read
> the most about.
>
> I have read that the Nikon ICE doesn't work very well on B&W &
> Kodachrome. I have also read that the focusing needs a little manual
> input on the Minolta.

I have both the minolta scan dual 4 and the scan elite.
Quality wise with print film there is nothing to show between them. with
negatives the scan elites higher maximum resuolution of 5400DPI just gives
you more grain. On slide film the extra resultion of the scan elite is
justified. the scan elite's ICE works well on both print and slide - .
(which was one of the reasons I upgraded from the dual scan which has no
infra red). I have no experience of B&W with ICE. The elite also has
firewire which the dual scan lacks.

I would not say that the scans from either of them are super sharp. But
that could also be the fact I use auto focus on the scanner rather than
manual. Simularly the colours are not incredibly bright but this could be
my monitor. ( I am thinking about buying a cheap hardware monitor
calibration system like pantones spyder... )

Overall the results are acceptable but not incredible from either of them
but ICE on the 5400 is its major advantage over the scan dual.

Regards
James

P.S.
The minolta software is clunky I use vuescan instead.