[OM] [OM]Bubble level: was OT: Tripod Heads

Subject: [OM] [OM]Bubble level: was OT: Tripod Heads
From: Richard Lovison <sylv4700@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2004 12:39:01 -0800 (PST)
--- bob gries <griberto@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> BTW, get the little bubble level for your hotshoe.  Its $30 and well
> worth it.

Hi Bob,

I just wrote another list member about this very same thing.  I'm not
so sure a bubble level for an OM-4t and especially an OM-1 is good
choice.  There seems to be a fair amount of difference between what is
level at the film plane and what is level at the hot shoe.

I did some tests on both cameras by using an inexpensive carpenter's
line level and resting it inside the camera on a ridge parallel to the
film plane and then leveling the camera.  After doing so, resting the
line level on the hot shoe, parallel to the back of the camera, gave me
an out of level reading, the worst being on the OM-1.  On the OM-1, the
bubble was still between the lines though touching the left line.  On
both cameras, pressing the line level against the bottom of the camera
that protruded past the pan head mount gave a level reading.

Richard

http://my.yahoo.com