[OM] Re: Announcing the 2004 Winter Solstice Photo Exchange!

Subject: [OM] Re: Announcing the 2004 Winter Solstice Photo Exchange!
From: Steve Dropkin <steve@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2004 07:20:45 -0600
Quoting Brian Swale <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> > Hey Brian, I'm surprised you let em call it a 'winter' exchange.
> ;>)
> >
> > Mike
>
> My pleasure.  "Winter exchange" ? I must be getting soft in the
> head with
> age. Go with the flow unless it's something really important is my
> motto -
> unless I'm feeling particularly curmudgeonly or just want to stir
> up s**t for
> some strange reason ( see ^^  )
>
> Cheers, Brian

Okay, I will play the geographically-challenged U.S.ian here. :-)

Being of the Northern Hemisphere, I am used to calling this solstice
the Winter Solstice. I know the seasons are reversed south of the
Equator, so that it is warming up in Brian's neighborhood while it is
icing up -- er, cooling off -- in mine (Minnesota). But have I been
ignorant to think that the December 21-22 solstice is called the
Winter Solstice everywhere despite the weather that follows?

Steve