[OM] Re: OM4ti

Subject: [OM] Re: OM4ti
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2004 14:53:11 -0800
Jeff Keller wrote:

>On eb*y.com a very nice black OM4-Ti will probably cost about $700. A very
>nice champagne one will probably cost aout $500. If obviously worn paint
>doesn't bother you, they can be bought for less.
>
>You can probably find a very nice looking OM4 for about $250. The OM4 seems
>to be the current bargain black camera. My 20 year old OM4 recently had its
>lens locking mechanism adjusted but has had no other service since when I
>bought it new. I often see very nice black OM-2n cameras listed at $250 but
>haven't noticed if they sold.

Threre are a surprising number of OM-4 bodies which have had the circuit
replaced with the later 4Ti circuit. If you are patient, it isn't that
hard to find one. This gives you later, more reliable electronics for
less that a 4T(i). In fact they can easily have newer circuitry than an
older 4T(i). The only functional difference is that they have almost
never had the hot shoe updated, so won't operate the F280 in Super FP
mode. Details about the circuits and how to tell which you have are here
<http://olympus.dementia.org/Hardware/OM-4_circuits.html>. Some sellers
know about this and will say if it has a new circuit in their listing.
It's easy to ask others to do the 30 sec. test.

Moose