[OM] Re: Film recommendation

Subject: [OM] Re: Film recommendation
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 13 Nov 2004 01:56:33 -0500
Ali,
How big is this room? . . . not just horizontal dimenisions . . . how tall
is the ceiling also?  What will be your working distance?

Auditoria are typically fairly large spaces that do not "contain" the light
much by reflection from ceilings and walls (inverse square law) and this
can be a bit deceptive compared to similar ambient lighting and distances
in smaller spaces . . . requiring more from the flash.  In addition,
there's a limit to how close you can get and this can also be a little
deceptive . . . the actual working distances being a bit longer than you
think . . . most definitely farther than inside the average home.  Twice
the distance compared to a large home's living room, family room or den
would not be at all unusual.

The T-32 is a fine flash and definitely has more horsepower than the T-20,
but it's not the large space filling one the T-45 is.  Metz' equivalent,
the handle mount 45 CT's and CL's, and bracket mounted Quantum T's, are the
favorites among wedding photographers for that reason.  The great advantage
of the BG2 with "C" cells is significantly shorter flash recovery time for
making the next photograph, but it doesn't increase the T-32's guide
number.  Even so, you want to avoid depending on max light output for
everything . . . that should be an exception, not the rule, as it can
result in missed "second shots."  I suggest you consider nothing slower
than ISO 400, your apertures no slower than f/4, and use as close a working
distance as you are allowed that will let you compose what you want.  YMMV
Caveat:  there are unknown variables here, the most significant being the
average working distance you will have to use.

I do not recommend the typical consumer ISO 400 color negative films . . .
they're horridly grainy compared to pro films of the same speed.  One of
the exceptions is Kodak's "High Definition" which used to be their consumer
Royal Gold 400, the pro version of which used to be Kodak's Supra.  This is
notably finer grained than the ISO 400 "Max" (formerly Gold 400).  Among
the current fine-grain 400 pro films is Kodak's Portra 400 NC, but it has
subdued saturation for portraiture and wedding use (the "VC" doesn't have
that much saturation increase over "NC" and it's slightly coarser grained).

BTW, I still have a T-32 . . . but encountering these kinds of spaces and
their typical working distances doing paid gigs using ISO 160 film with
f/5.6 apertures (occasionally opening up to f/4 for long shots) is why I
sold one of the T-32's with its BG2 after finding myself with a battery of
more powerful flashes . . . a pair of Metz 40 MZ's which have a little more
oomph than the T-32, three Sunpak units with guide numbers in the T-45
realm, and a Metz 60 CT-4 (the weapon of mass illumination).

-- John Lind