[OM] Re: OT--new GTO?

Subject: [OM] Re: OT--new GTO?
From: ClassicVW@xxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2004 11:51:03 EST
By "big difference in highway mileage" do you mean automatic vs. stick?

IMO, anyone considering a 400HP purchase shouldn't care whether a car gets 10
or 35 MPG.  You're buying 400HP, then live with whatever mileage you get and
at today's gas prices.

I don't think you can just "try" a stick and decide. In the long term you'll
either love it, or you'll think it's the worst choice you ever made. I own a
pickup with a 5-speed stick. I like it a lot, and feel it gives me more control
in snow and great gas mileage, but it's a 4-cylinder with who knows what
horsepower, but it's all I need in New Jersey with none or a light cargo
payload.
That said, I hate it in city stop-and-go traffic, ( there are lots of
stop-and-go traffic jams here) hate it when I have a sore left knee or sore
right
shoulder (things to consider if you're over 50 or have a job that gives you
pains
and strains) and, while my wife is an experienced manual trans driver, I
wouldn't even THINK of trying to teach my daughter how to drive it. Her not
being
able to even move it from the driveway is another pain as I'm the one always
jockeying the cars around.

George S.