[OM] Re: OM4T+100mmF2

Subject: [OM] Re: OM4T+100mmF2
From: "CyberSimian" <OlySimian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2004 01:17:19 -0000
Matt Boland wrote:
> Does anybody know if any of the leather cases fit the OM4T + 100mmF2?

As the list's self-appointed ERC expert, I guess that I should try to answer
this question!

I wrote in a recent post that the 100mm f2.8 on an OM4Ti fits in the
standard ERC for the OM20/OM30.  That includes one standard-thickness
filter, plus lens cap, but not lens hood.  However, it only JUST fits -- you
need to set the focus to infinity in order to minimise the length of the
lens so that it will fit in the case.

My OM4Ti brochure shows that the length of the 100mm f2.8 is 48mm, whereas
the length of the 100mm f2 is 72mm -- that is virtually one inch longer.  So
that lens definitely WON'T fit in the OM20/30 standard ERC.

Olympus produced various ERCs for standard lenses over the years, but the
100mm f2 is so much longer than the f2.8 that I doubt that any of the
standard ERCs could accommodate the f2.  However, Olympus also produced some
long-nose ERCs specifically for the longer lenses.  These long-nose ERCs are
quite rare, although I happen to have three of them (all diffferent):

o   An OM2 long-nose ERC (marked "135YN") that has the pointy apex (to
accommodate the pentaprism).  It is 50mm longer than the OM20/30 standard
ERC.

o   An OM10 long-nose ERC (marked "135N") that has a flat apex, but is too
tight for the OM4Ti.  It is 25mm longer than the OM20/30 standard ERC.

o   An OM20/30 long-nose ERC (marked "135N") that has a flat apex, but is
nevertheless a good fit for the OM4Ti.  It is 40mm longer than the OM20/30
standard ERC.

One point to note about these long nose ERCs is that they all differ in
length, but are all numbered "135", so if you look on an auction site for
one, it is a bit uncertain what length you would get.

-- from Cy in the UK