[OM] Re: Northern Lights - Illinois

Subject: [OM] Re: Northern Lights - Illinois
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 08 Nov 2004 23:43:43 -0500
At 10:58 PM 11/8/04, Orin Keplinger wrote:

>Ok, you Guys:
>
>     I am near Chicago and off tonight. Using my favorite weather map site:
>http://www.ghcc.msfc.nasa.gov/GOES/goeseastconusir.html

And here's my favorite . . . the Canadian Meteorological Center:
   http://cleardarksky.com//f.php?p=1C1612IUKkmObIN

Currently it should show 11 PM EST (UTC-5).  This cloud cover map is part
of a larger set of several types of maps we use for estimating "clear sky"
for astronomical observing.  The "Clear Sky Clock" for the IU-Kokomo
observatory can be seen here (note who is hosting it as a sub-domain):
   http://www.kac.johnlind.net/

We're going to see patches of clouds moving through . . . almost like the
recent eclipse . . . for which we were very nearly the only location in all
of Indiana to be able to observe it at all . . . through breaks in cloud cover.

-- John Lind
40° 26' 35.52" N
86° 6' 31.32" W