[OM] Re: Off-camera flash with OM1

Subject: [OM] Re: Off-camera flash with OM1
From: "Ing. Radovan Faltus" <faltusr@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 7 Nov 2004 20:11:46 +0100
----- Original Message -----
From: "Simon Worby" <simon@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

> I assume it plugs into the X/FP flash switch socket; I've always
> wondered what that plug is for... In pictures, I've seen some sort of
> connection from it to the Data Back; if it's a flash socket, how does
> that work?

Yes,
  exactly. There is simple flash trigger internal switch connected to
the socket, so it just fires the flash, nothing more, nothing less.
Principle: In the moment the shutter is fully open the switch goes closed
for a short time,
but normaly it stays open. Such "short-cirquit" connection of two poles
of the connected synchro cable (comming from flash) starts the light
emmision of any flash unit.

Older types of databacks (1 and 2, I think) take trigger signal from this
socket,
so there is such cable connection required. Later models (3 and 4) take the
signal
from golden plated contact placed under the back door.

Radek