[OM] Re: [OT] Paypal charges, was interesting items still get good price

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] Paypal charges, was interesting items still get good prices
From: "Simon Worby" <simon@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 6 Nov 2004 15:35:56 -0000
Andrew Gullen wrote:

> Frankly I find eBay's ban outrageous, as this is a monopoly practice to
> benefit one of their companies

I disagree with the policy, too. But when all's said and done, by trading on
eBay you agree to abide by their rules; it's a free market and if you don't
like it you can sell elsewhere. Furthermore, in my case I used also to add 3%
to cover PayPal charges, and I no longer can, so I don't see why I should pay
other sellers' 3%.

> - does it apply to other payment methods?

Yes, not just PayPal. There are some exclusions, but basically PayPal and all
similar services are covered.

> It is also interference in other people's business.

Indeed, but at least it's not interference by the State. It's a private
company, and if you don't like it, you have the option of going elsewhere.

> The credit card companies ban merchants from offering discounts for cash,
> and I also find this outrageous interference in restraint of trade. Such
> things limit people's choices and distort the market, but somehow such
> considerations seem to have no weight when the interests of the rich and
> powerful would be adversely affected. What hypocrisy!

I see your point, but it's a market economy. Merchants don't have to accept
c/c. If enough people didn't like it, rivals would set up and thrive.

A bit like M$ and Linux....

Simon