[OM] Re: E-1 7mm-14mm

Subject: [OM] Re: E-1 7mm-14mm
From: Skip Williams <om2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 5 Nov 2004 15:19:00 -0500
Cc: jrk_om@xxxxxxxxxxx
If they can make a 7-14 zoom, don't count on a single focal length 7mm lens
appearing.  The R&D won't be worth it.  I keep my 14mm f/4.5 Voigtlander around
for the ultra-wide angle shots, if I need it.

Here is the official Olympus USA press release on the 7-14mm lens stating that
it's due "in the first quarter of 2005".  I'd expect it in February at the
soonest.  The Adorama guy is wrong unless Olympus made HUGE strides in product
development timetables....something I seriously doubt.  He's either privy to
new info, seriously mis-informed, or just a tell-em-what-they-want-to-hear jerk.

Skip

PRESS RELEASE:

OLYMPUS INTRODUCES ONE OF THE WORLD'S WIDEST ULTRA-WIDE ANGLE DIGITAL SPECIFIC
LENSES: THE ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 7-14 MM

Melville, New York, Sept 27, 2004 - Olympus America Inc. today introduced the
new Zuiko ED 7-14mm f4.0 zoom lens, part of its growing family of
interchangeable lenses for the Olympus E-System. This latest addition is an
ultra-wide angle zoom lens that offers a wide focal length of 7mm (14mm
equivalent in 35mm photography) in a 2x optical zoom for professional
photographers. The Zuiko Digital ED 7-14mm f4.0 follows the Zuiko Digital
11-22mm f2.8-3.5 already on the market and adds an even wider zoom to the Zuiko
Digital Specific? Lens Family. As with all lens components of the E-System, the
7-14mm lens is built on the new Four Thirds System standard.

"With the introduction of the 7-14 mm Zuiko Digital Lens, Olympus shows its
commitment to expanding the range of the Olympus E-System to provide
professional photographers with a total digital solution for all of their
individual photographic requirements," said John Knaur, senior marketing
manager, Olympus America Inc. "The Zuiko Digital 7-14mm zoom delivers a unique
ultra-wide capability revealing the promise of the E-System and Four Thirds
design."

Due out in the first quarter of 2005, the 7-14mm lens offers a 114-degree angle
of view, one of the widest in the world for "100% digital specific" zoom
lenses. The lens enables extraordinary, unique expression for both advanced
amateur and professional photographers with the exaggerated perspective and
subject depth that it brings to compositions. This is a new generation in
ultra-wide angle zoom lenses that takes full advantage of the dynamism,
resolution, brightness and close-up potential of the Four Thirds System
standard. The dedicated digital design of the lens ensures excellent quality
even at image periphery.