[OM] Re: [astro photo] 1991 sunspot

Subject: [OM] Re: [astro photo] 1991 sunspot
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 04 Nov 2004 23:06:17 -0500
At 01:46 PM 11/2/04, Richard wrote:
>http://people.simons-rock.edu/rlovison/temp/Sunspot.html
>
>I hope none of you find it annoying that I'm digging up some of my old
>astro photos to share on the list.

Not at all . . . the OM-1[n] is one of several favorites for astro
work.  Very well done.  BTW, aside from the 16" SCG and 6" refractor I
forgot completely about the decent size Coronado 'scope that will also be
piggybacked to the SCG . . . actually better characterized as "under-slung"
. . . until I went to the observatory to make some measurements last night.

Perhaps of interest to about 2/3rds of the eastern half of North America is
an interesting "medium" event on December 7th.  Likely not interesting
unless one has a 'scope with enough horsepower for planetary viewing.  The
Lunar occultation of Jupiter offers some astro-photo ops for those
sufficiently equipped to capture it.  Moon is 26% waning crescent . . .
which means capturing ingress against the illuminated eastern portion of
the Moon would look much more interesting than egress from the dark patch
of sky on the western shadowed side.

For those not steeped in the jargon, a Lunar occultation is the
disappearance of a more distant object as the Moon passes in front of
it.  Typically of most interest are Saturn, Jupiter and perhaps Venus for
the non-pros (who would be severely challenged to capture any of the other
planets and have them look like planets).  Other objects of interest to the
truly serious astronomers are Lunar occultations of the brightest stars and
easily visible asteroids (with a good size 'scope).  The remaining outer
planet, Pluto, is more like a very dim star.

I've seen a few occultation photos of Saturn at less than a degree from the
edge of a comparatively monstrous Lunar limb . . . very dramatic . . .
looks like a small, defenseless, innocent world being swallowed whole by a
"Death Star."

-- John Lind