[OM] Re: T32 & T20 "hole" in the "O"

Subject: [OM] Re: T32 & T20 "hole" in the "O"
From: "Simon Worby" <simon@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 4 Nov 2004 21:39:12 -0000
Garth Wood wrote:

>> What's the "hole" in the "O" on the front for? I had always sort of
>> assumed it was a crude internal flash meter of sorts, used to quench the
>> flash to prevent over-exposure, but from the various explanations it would
>> appear not.
>
> That's exactly what the hole is for -- when the flash is used in its auto
> (but non-TTL-controlled) setting.

Right. I see. Hence the f-stop/distance information is a maximum rather than a
"not less than x and not greater than y".

It must be fairly crude, though. Is the OTF "Auto control by OM-2" more
accurate?

Also (and sorry for the questions) what is it that creates the signal for the
rapid flash to indicate correct exposure? Do to the fact that (IIRC) it happens
on the OM-1N as well as the OM-2N, I assume it's the flash unit rather than the
camera, even in "Full auto control by OM-2" mode.

Thanks,

Simon