[OM] Re: Multiple Flash/Studio Flash

Subject: [OM] Re: Multiple Flash/Studio Flash
From: "Andreas Pirner" <AndreasPirner@xxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 2 Nov 2004 19:08:59 +0100

Dean Tyler wrote:
> Presently, I have a T32 and BG2, and I am thinking of adding
> another t32 for multiple flash.
> Also, I am considering using a T32 on a stand with an umbrella.

There are two basic, but very different approaches
to flash photography with OM:
a) Wire them, let the OM do the calculations TTL/OTF.
b) Forget TTL/OTF, use Auto or Manual. (And use a
   flash meter to determine the amount of light).

(a) is easy and nearly foolproof to use. Danger of
wrong exposures, depending of subject reflecting
properties (to much whites, or blacks, etc.).

(b) could be set up to more (up to total) consistant
results, but may be less spontanious.

> Last question, I have a luna pro F meter and I must admit
> I have rarely used it for flash measurements because I don't
> know how to trigger the flash without taking a picture.

Using the flash meter makes sense, when NOT using
TTL/OTF metering. No need to actually fire a
shot. Nearly all flash meters trigger by "seeing"
a flash. That is, set up your arrangement, place the
flash meter at the subject's spot, it's dome facing
the lights (flashes, umbrellas, reflectors) and fire
by pressing the flash's open flash button. The meter
triggers automatically and measures and tells you what
it has "seen". It usually does not to be hold or anything.
At least that is what my flash meters do (no Luna F,
but CalcuFlash and Minolta meters).

> I have played around for the T32 with no film and it
> appears to have three output intensities

The T32 has two manual settings, full and half power
(GN 32m and GN 16m at ISO 100/21°), and three Auto
settings (see flash manual).

> I assume flash duration is the X factor.

No. Flash duration just regulates amount of light.
More duration = more light. Nothing to think about
in the range of 1/50000 to 1/500 second.

> I assume that with two T32s in manual mode (if
> they can be > independently triggered for flash
> readings) on stands with umbrellas would be a decent
> mobile studio that would offer consistent light control.

True.

> Or should I buy a could cheap third party flashes?

ALL flashes work as well in any no TTL/OTF setting.
Easily to integrate using servo/slave flash cells.

Main problem with all setups is the missing
modelling light. You just do not see, how your
(multiple) flash setup produces light, casts
shadows, produces black/white ratios and on
and on. That is the reason why you end up using
studio flashes sooner or later for any studio
setup ...

Andreas