[OM] Re: Multiple Flash/Studio Flash

Subject: [OM] Re: Multiple Flash/Studio Flash
From: "Alan Barrow" <pinzgauer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 1 Nov 2004 19:45:10 -0500
Skip writes:

> It's not really easy to use T-32's for manual flash, as you can't dial the
> power output; they weren't made for that level of control.  The camera
> was supposed to handle everything.
>
>  If I wanted a budget way to do that, I'd probably find a few old Vivitar
> 283's or similar that will take the Vivitar Vari-Power Module.

This is where the Sunpak 333/422/444's really shine.... full manual control
down to 1/16 power on manual while still offering full OM TTL dedication.

I frequently used a smaller non-dedicated flash on the hotshoe with the 444
off camera via TTL cord and TTL adapter for fill  on outdoor casual
portraits.

I never tried two 444's in TTL mode to see if they will operate in parallel
like the T-32.

< I'm sure that someone here knows of another less-expensive flash that has
>  manual power increments built in.   My Metz 54MZ3 has a very nice
> control of power output, but it's not cheap.

Sunpak get's my vote here! I've found them to be in the same price range or
less as the Vivitars, more features, and better made. It's bigger than the
T-32, but it's a more powerful flash, with a fresnel zoom adapter which
helps even more. Multi-angle bounce plus a fold-out reflector to shoot some
up, while reflect some forward. A stofen soft box complements it well for
close up work.

For what it's worth, I really wish the OM's had a "flash-a-matic" mode for
fill like the rangefinders and IS series do. It works well. I guess you'd
have to have a coupling on distance to do it, but I get my best fast people
shots with the IS-3 due to it's excellent fill. The Sunpak power adjustment
is easy to calculate, but does require a separate step and manual camera
operation.

Have fun!

Alan