[OM] Re: Tamron 80-200/2.8 was Wooo Hoooo . . .

Subject: [OM] Re: Tamron 80-200/2.8 was Wooo Hoooo . . .
From: Andrew Gullen <andrew.gullen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2004 21:00:25 -0500
on 2004/10/31 3:06 PM, Walt Wayman at hiwayman@xxxxxxx wrote:

> Then, since I don't have a set of 77mm filters, I use a 77-82mm step-up ring
> and a two-inch deep, $10, metal, 82mm screw-in hood I got off *Bay a couple of
> years ago.  If you've got this lens and don't have the "proper" bayonet hood,
> a screw-in 77mm hood a couple of inches deep will do just as well.

Thanks Walt, that's a good point. I can probably dumpster-dive something
temporarily that will be 90% as good.

on 2004/10/31 4:17 PM, John A. Lind at jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> ...  Whether or not one experiences flare with a particular lens is also
> situational . . . subject material (including off-axis light sources) and
> filter use.  Lenses I would otherwise rate as superbly immune to flare in
> many daylight and on-camera flash situations can produce ghost reflections
> and a little aperture flare in very low light . . . especially if there are
> relatively bright light sources forward of the lens front.

While some of the situations I want to use this in are fairly flat light,
some may not be. As well, even the flat light light can be overhead
fluorescent banks (ech) which could cause flare. I've had to print B&W shots
from other zooms with higher grade filters and suspect flare is partly to
blame (of course, so is the flat light).

A couple more questions for the 80-200 owners if I could:
 - What's the distance on the real thing from the thread to the front edge?
 - What's the type code (e.g. XY3Z)?

Thanks,
Andrew