[OM] Re: Filters

Subject: [OM] Re: Filters
From: "Jeff Keller" <jrk_om@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2004 10:05:30 -0700
I believe Hoya currently has two optical variations of filters. Their
standard and their multicoated - HMC filters. The Ultra thin I believe is
just a mechanical variation - thin mount with no threads on the front(I've
got one). Bad filters can definitely screw up the quality of a good lens.
Some people swear by the advantages of brass mounts and german glass used in
some filters, but the difference between a new Hoya HMC and the "best"
filter is pretty small IMHO ... but I have to admit I seldom use filters
even though I carry some with me. For instance the only time I normally
consider using a UV filter is near water at high altitudes ... I see a
bluish haze with my eyes and decide to reduce it.

Whether you need an ultra thin or a standard depends strictly on the lens. I
don't think any telephoto will need an untrathin or even a thin filter. The
Olympus filters are thinner than the standard size Hoya filter but fatter
than the ultra thin Hoya filter. The Olympus lenses were probably designed
for their own filter thickness. How much if any impact you will see is hard
to say. I don't think I've heard of anyone mention problems until the focal
length is 24mm or shorter ... perhaps one of the f1.2 lenses may have had a
problem.

-jeff