[OM] Soon-to-be E-1 user

Subject: [OM] Soon-to-be E-1 user
From: Peter Klein <pklein@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2004 17:00:57 -0700
Well, folks, I've gone and done it.  I ordered an E-1 yesterday, and should
get it early next week.

It's been a long, agonizing process.  I had narrowed down the choice to the
E-1, the Pentax *ist, and the Epson R-D1 rangefinder.  I eliminated the
latter recently due to price and some "Version 1.0" issues that have come
up among the early purchasers. That left the two DSLRs, which I'd picked
because they handled well, were relatively light, and had viewfinders I
actually liked.

The *ist has the best compatibility with old glass.  But the fact is that I
have old Zuiko glass, not Pentax.  I eventually went with the E-1 because
of the build, the weatherproofing, the sensor dustbuster and the quality of
E-1 work I've seen posted by a number of people, including C.H. and
Skip.  Now I just hope there will be a fast normal or moderately wide prime
in the next year or so, and please, let it be affordable!

In the meantime, I can explore using my Zuiko 50/1.8 and 28/2.8 at bright
apertures and see how I do when I want things light and compact.  I've also
got a 50/3.5 macro, a 100/2.8 and a Vivitar 70-150/3.8 zoom.  Enough to
play with

A few quick questions for anyone who's already got one:

1.  Can someone in the U.S. post the address or phone number I must contact
to get the OM-to-E-1 adapter?  How long did it take to actually receive
your adapter?

2.  Does anyone have suggestions as to which of the RAW converters I should
use?  I use Picture Window Pro, not Photoshop, so Adobe Camera RAW is
out.  I've heard that Studio's high-quality mode gives the best images, but
it's slow and clunky.  And I've heard mixed things about Capture 1 and Bibble.

3.  I've heard good things about the E-1's Jpegs.  Any tips on initial
camera settings?  Do you find that Jpegs are good enough most of the time,
or do you prefer RAW?

4.  Any sites or other lists I should peruse?  I'm already familiar with
dpreview's Olympus DSLR forum, and MyFourThirds.com.

Rest assured, I view digital as complementing my film gear, not replacing it.

Thanks,
--Peter Klein
Seattle, WA