[OM] Re: Looking for a TOPE image

Subject: [OM] Re: Looking for a TOPE image
From: hiwayman@xxxxxxx (Walt Wayman)
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2004 23:43:10 +0000
That's between you and your wife, cousin or sister, or whoever you shot
unflatteringly.  That's a matter of ethical behavior and the preservation of
domestic tranquility, not legal restrictions or consequences.

Let me give a very simplified example, if I may, of what's permissible and
what's not:

Suppose, if you will, that sometimes I goose-step naked around my house, with
gherkins stuck in my ears and french fries poked up my nose, a Rhode Island Red
under one arm, a green, silk top hat on my head, an AK-47 slung over my
shoulder, while leading a Lincolnshire curly-coated shoat wearing
strawberry-pink lipstick, a knit cap, turquoise earrings and a pearl necklace,
and you climb a tree in my back yard and get a shot of me as I pass by a
window.  If you do and if you show it to so much as one person, my lawyer will
get me your house and car.

But if I should take one step out of my front door doing exactly the same thing
and I am visible from the public street and you take a photograph and publish
it on the front page of McPaper, you're most likely going to be well paid for
getting the weirdo shot of the year, and I'll just have to move to another
state.  (Or maybe not, depending on what kind of really interesting
propositions I get.)

It's up to you about what to do with unflattering photographs of friends and
family.  I usually just trash them.  It's just not worth it to piss off those
who can get even with you, no matter how funny the shot may be.  Now, on the
other hand, blackmail is always a possibility.

Walt

--
"Anything more than 500 yards from
the car just isn't photogenic." --