[OM] Re: Looking for a TOPE image

Subject: [OM] Re: Looking for a TOPE image
From: Gary Teller <gmteller@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2004 11:38:05 -0400
Walt wrote:

<snip> One thing I have noticed over my three or four years here, and from
looking at the TOPE gallery, is that it seems like not too many Zuikoholics
shoot people.  Sure, everybody takes pictures of friends and family, but I
see very few photos of alien folk.<snip>

Points well made, Walt.  I've never had a problem asking strangers if I may
photograph them.  Sometimes though, I just know I'll be better off keeping
my distance and using a longer lens.  Most strangers don't seem to mind
having their photo taken if you give them a plausible reason why you want
to do so.  Chatting it up with them before and after helps.  Offer to send
them a copy of the results.  Even if we're critical of the print/slide, the
recipient will probably be impressed because it was taken with "one of them
perfeshnul" cameras.

Your post reminded me of why I still like using my OM's--no shutter
lag.  All too often, when taking "posed" shots, folks stare into the lens
with either a deer in headlights look, a glum face, frozen stock still as
if waiting for Matthew Brady to finish the exposure or with that impatient
look that says "I've had enough pictures taken of me".  Since I firmly
believe that one can glimpse a true aspect of a person when that person is
being silly or in a humorous mood (think adults in costume on Halloween), I
say something that will elicit a smile, a laugh, a sly grin or a look like
you've never/not too often seen in your subject.  One line that works well
is "Think about where you like your
[husband/wife/boyfriend/girlfriend,etc.] to touch you."  With one of my
brothers, all I have to do is mention going to eat some Krispy Kreme
doughnuts.  Sometimes all it takes it asking your subject to act
silly.  Since I usually am not using a tripod I poke my head from around
the back of the camera when I tell them to think about....I've already
composed and focused while they had their standard camera look.  The second
the look changes is where the no shutter lag advantage comes into play.  Of
course, my preference for a fast shutter works well in the case of less
than receptive subjects-whether known or not known.  Looks that kill, ala
Wayne's pic, are just as fleeting.

Just my two cups of coffee's worth.

Gary (who'd rather read the list than tackle today's honey do's)