[OM] Re: Is it a scam? Advice wanted.

Subject: [OM] Re: Is it a scam? Advice wanted.
From: "Piers Hemy" <piers@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2004 21:50:32 +0100
Cc: <wiliam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
It looks like the message has come from outside the auction site - the
seller is offering you to buy outside the auction site.  This means that he
can circumvent the auction site fee, and you can circumvent what
buyer-protections the auction site offers.  If so, it is incorrect to say
that you can give and receive feedback, since the sale will be outside the
auction site system.  That is not to say that it isn't a bargain, but a
bargain on a 20D that sounds too good to be true may be ... well ... just
that.

Make sure to check the email headers carefully - it may appear to come from
eb*y.com, but in fact is coming from another domain entirely.

I think you are also alert to the possibility that the sender of the email
message has no connection whatever with the seller on the auction site - but
you could maybe send a message to the high bidder to see if he actually
bough the camera!

I am closer to Leicester than you are Willem, and could certainly do some
elementary ID checks for you (on the basis of the answers you get to Iwert's
suggested questions), which may be of some comfort (or otherwise) but in my
view, this is one to steer well clear of.  Of course, if you will dabble in
C*non, I suppose you are getting what you deserve ;-)

--
Piers