[OM] Re: Tamron 28-105/2.8 opinions?

Subject: [OM] Re: Tamron 28-105/2.8 opinions?
From: Skip Williams <om2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2004 22:14:25 -0400
I had the big Tamron 28-105/2.8 zoom before I traded it for a Zuiko 35-80 +
cash.

First, it was expensive.  It also produced very, very nice images.
High-quality color, snappy photos.

Minuses for me:

- It's an AF lens, and MF functionality was an afterthought with that thin
focusing ring and quick throw.
- It's big, esp with the 82mm filter = expensive filters and a big front
element + the tulip hood
- Did I mention that it's big?  When you zoom out to 105 in close company, I
always got self-conscious as the lens grew several inches, and people
definitely noticed, often remarking how big that lens was!
- Unbalanced without a MD, IMO.  It's too large with a bare body.

In the end, the handling was a dead-end for me and I moved to the Zuiko, which
I liked more, although I really enjoyed the wide zoom range of the Tamron and
the fixed f/2.8 aperture.

Incidentally, isn't it interesting that the E-1's standard lens is a 28-108
equiv. lens, just like the Tamron?

Skip