[OM] Re: BW Paper revisited part II

Subject: [OM] Re: BW Paper revisited part II
From: Marc Lawrence <mlawrence@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 8 Oct 2004 10:19:36 +1000
> AG Schnozz [mailto:agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx] wrote:
> Provided that there remains a reasonable supply of materials,
> real B&W photography should continue it's comeback as a "classic
> artform".

The following is in essence a question based on ignorance and
thinking-out-loud, but...

...with other craft/arts, the manufacture/availability of
materials (eg. paint, canvass, wood, metal, stone) and
tools (brushes, chisels, hammers, easels) is extant.
Without knowing my photography history, at some
stage very early were photographers manufacturing all of
the consumables themselves? Were there different processes
that were "photography" that were within the realms of
"home brew" available to the keen enthusiast? Is there
some process that can involve manufacturing these things
at home from reasonably readily available raw materials.
Even if possible, I realise this is not a "Make your
own TMax", or "DIY Ilford chemical photography papers in 10
easy steps", but if such is possible (or happening now?)
I wonder, irrespective of commercial maintenance, is it
also possible that there will always be the "classic"
form of B&W photography?

Like I said, much ignorance on my part, but I'm curious. I
muck around up at a hut in the bush we go to in winter,
where I whittle walking sticks/poles from deadwood...
which is less a craft on my part than a basic way to
pass the time, cut up my hands, and "make" something
that's really just a conveniently lengthed barkless stick,
but it reminds me that not everything needs to be bought.
I'm just wondering if some of these older elements of
photography, being so much more complex and artistic and
crafty but at the same time having such a signifant period
of time and development behind it, have a remote chance of
that avenue being at all available should the commercial
supply become practically non-existent for some enthusiasts.

Being an Australian, I also just wanted to use the phrase
"home brew". ;-)

Cheers
Marc
Sydney, Oz