[OM] Re: ( OM ) T Power Control 1 advice sought (2)

Subject: [OM] Re: ( OM ) T Power Control 1 advice sought (2)
From: Fernando Gonzalez Gentile <fgnzalez@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 07 Oct 2004 10:36:22 -0200
on 7/10/2004 03:46, Brian Swale at bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Hi Brian,

> Thanks for all the advice - facts.
De nada, as we say in Spanish. It is always a pleasure.

> That leaves the TTL socket and cord(s). Thinking it through, am I correct that
> the function of this cord is to provide only TTL switching from the camera to
> any  flash units that are connected?
Provided they are dedicated flash units, the answer is yes. My experience is
with only one T-32 unit.
The T-32s (T-20s + adapters) will also fire on manual and/or Normal Auto,
but you would need a flash meter or careful calcs I think.
In the case of the T Power control, I don't know how many of them could be
connected, but I bet it would be up to 9 as well, with all the T-10s or
T-28s you can hold :-)

> Using this TTL socket/cord to supply ( up to 9 auxiliary units) such as a T20
> ( I have never examined or owned a T32), does this enable the camera to do
> the TTL switching for all of them?
Yes, provided you had connected them to that expensive and difficult to find
TTL Connector plug, (can't remember the proper name of the accessory now) -
a socket which has a female plug on one side and three on the opposite side.
I found one, LNIB, here but the owner asks USD 40 for it - unfortunately I
didn't like the T-32 he is selling.
I have been very reluctant to use flash lighting, but found it necessary on
some circumstances, macro and fill-in are some of them - specially if you're
using K64 (low speed film, Velvia 50 in my case)
In any case, don't leave batteries inside the unit if you're not using it
for long periods of time. Not because of leaking, but because the contact
springs excert a lot of pressure and will crack the lower plastic half -
mine did. Not badly cracked, but annoying.

> Fernando said "I thought you had an OM-4Ti".
>
> Well, actually, I have been greedy.
LOL.

> My first OM was a 1975 - 77? OM10
> bought in HongKong when that city was THE place to  buy cheaper duty-free
> goods, and my sister and her new husband were going for a long trek in the
> Himalayas.  They were to buy me an OM2 there ( I had decided on the OM
> system to follow the Exakta system I had, based on the advantages of the
> QA310 flash and OTF / ttl metering with the OM2) However, the salesman
> persuaded them they didn't need the more expensive OM2 as the OM10
> could do all that was needed. So they bought me an OM10. It was nice to
> have an OM10  + Zuiko 50/1.4 when they returned, after testing it at high
> altitudes etc, but basically I was not particularly pleased about the choice
> made.
This reminds me exactly how I ended with an OM-2 body + G.Zuiko instead of a
OM-2n + Zuiko MC. :-(

> In 1982? I had the chance to buy a 2nd hand OM2 from a student here who
> was working his way through university by taking wedding photos in
> weekends. I paid $NZ 650 with a Zuiko 50/1.8, from memory. At current
> exchange rates that is about US 400 - would have been ?US 300 then.
>
> I didn't REALLY need that OM2; just that I had planned all along to have one.
Understand, I didn't really need to have a 2n, but I have a nice one (with
some problems) since August 1st - after soaking my 2, but I had made the
purchase before.
And I don't really need a 4Ti, but haven't bought one because we have no
John Hermanson nor Olympus America/Europe around.

> Little changed after that, except I did buy an Zuiko 24/2.8, a 40/2, and a
> 300/4.5 all of which still have, and all 2nd hand over shop counters. Oh and a
> new 100-200, a new 35-105, and a QA310 all at sale prices. Oh and various
> adapter rings to enable me to reverse-mount lenses and also stack them.
> And the rail and two stages. And a tripod. Nothing to speak of really.
Things changed much slower for me. I chose the 28/2.8 and the 200/4, and a
tripod. Then came the linear pols, the T-32 and a TTL cord and TTL Conn 3,
no shoe3. During a closeout on June 2003, I managed to buy a 2X-A, a 65~116
and a 85~250. Most important, I had already found this list and began taking
pictures again.

> Oh and a Zuiko 100/2.8, now that I  remember, from an advertisement in the
> daily paper.
>
> Then about 3 years ago I happened to see a beat-up OM 4Ti in a 2nd hand
> shop window, and during the guarantee period the IC failed, so it was
> replaced under warranty. It ended up costing the shop so much ( NZ agent
> repair at $NZ90 an hour) I made an ex gratia payment to see him right.
Lucky you. That would have been impossible here.

> I didn't REALLY need an OM4Ti. Just envy -  curiosity.
I wouldn't call that envy. Curiosity perhaps, and the wish to take better
pictures. But a better picture is in the realm of the photographer's
imagination.
I would certainly have bought a 4Ti if it were repairable here.

> But I have learned so much from all you guys & gals that I am not
> embarrassed at all about that.  Not to mention the encouragement.
My feelings are much alike.

Fernando.