[OM] ( OM ) T Power Control 1 advice sought (2)

Subject: [OM] ( OM ) T Power Control 1 advice sought (2)
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2004 18:46:07 +1300
Cc: Fernando Gonzalez Gentile <fgnzalez@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Hi all,

Thanks for all the advice - facts.

Yes I had actually figured out how to get power to the little modelling lights
(trap for young players there), how the T10  plugs in to the TPC (not much
chance of a mistake there with that humungous rotating plug), how the AC
power source transformer power is supplied underneath the TPC. and of
course the hot-shoe.

That leaves the TTL socket and cord(s). Thinking it through, am I correct that
the function of this cord is to provide only TTL switching from the camera to
any  flash units that are connected?

Using this TTL socket/cord to supply ( up to 9 auxiliary units) such as a T20
( I have never examined or owned a T32), does this enable the camera to do
the TTL switching for all of them?

I have another question in relation to the possible direction of signal in
different circumstances, but that can wait.

Actually, I think Piers has covered this very well.

I can see how I might use the ring-flash for low-power macro fill flash and the
T20s ( I have vacuumed up a few when they have been going begging on
auction sites) for varied side-lighting to give the shots more character.

Fernando said "I thought you had an OM-4Ti".

Well, actually, I have been greedy. My first OM was a 1975 - 77? OM10
bought in HongKong when that city was THE place to  buy cheaper duty-free
goods, and my sister and her new husband were going for a long trek in the
Himalayas.  They were to buy me an OM2 there ( I had decided on the OM
system to follow the Exakta system I had, based on the advantages of the
QA310 flash and OTF / ttl metering with the OM2) However, the salesman
persuaded them they didn't need the more expensive OM2 as the OM10
could do all that was needed. So they bought me an OM10. It was nice to
have an OM10  + Zuiko 50/1.4 when they returned, after testing it at high
altitudes etc, but basically I was not particularly pleased about the choice
made.

In 1982? I had the chance to buy a 2nd hand OM2 from a student here who
was working his way through university by taking wedding photos in
weekends. I paid $NZ 650 with a Zuiko 50/1.8, from memory. At current
exchange rates that is about US 400 - would have been ?US 300 then.

I didn't REALLY need that OM2; just that I had planned all along to have one.

Little changed after that, except I did buy an Zuiko 24/2.8, a 40/2, and a
300/4.5 all of which still have, and all 2nd hand over shop counters. Oh and a
new 100-200, a new 35-105, and a QA310 all at sale prices. Oh and various
adapter rings to enable me to reverse-mount lenses and also stack them.
And the rail and two stages. And a tripod. Nothing to speak of really.

Oh and a Zuiko 100/2.8, now that I  remember, from an advertisement in the
daily paper.

Then about 3 years ago I happened to see a beat-up OM 4Ti in a 2nd hand
shop window, and during the guarantee period the IC failed, so it was
replaced under warranty. It ended up costing the shop so much ( NZ agent
repair at $NZ90 an hour) I made an ex gratia payment to see him right.

I didn't REALLY need an OM4Ti. Just envy -  curiosity.

About that time I discovered this group, and it seems to have been all down-
hill since ... ... ... ...

Still nothing to speak of  ...  ....   ....  in case I become embarrassed =|;-)>

But I have learned so much from all you guys & gals that I am not
embarrassed at all about that.  Not to mention the encouragement.

Brian