[OM] Re: OM Metering

Subject: [OM] Re: OM Metering
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2004 19:26:07 -0700
OK, now that I've got my head straight about what you are saying... I
still have to disagree, but for different reasons. I found the source of
my understanding of this, a post by Fernando Gonzalez Gentile on
6/9/03. I see he has already posted to this thread briefly, here is his
longer 2003 post:
So as not to suffer from nightmares any more, I asked Olympus America and
their reply, on my left knee righ now -beautiful almost translucent paper- ,
says:

"Dear Dr. Gonzalez-Gentile:
This is in reply to your recent inquiry concerning OM-2 and OM-2N metering
patterns.
The curtain design was changed in 1978 to the present form, as outlined in
the Xerox copy from an Olympus publication. Unfortunately, extra copies are
not available, therefore, this copy.*

Your continued interest in Olumpus products is deeply appreciated. Should
further information be requires, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Sincerely,
[authentic blue Parker ink hand signature]
Ralph Lepore
Service Representative
April 3, 1981"

And the Xerox copy:
"...The metering pattern of the two models are the same. Full frame
averaging at all shutter speeds on automatic and center-weighted on manual.
The viewfinder display is center-weighted at all times, even when the
camerea is set for automatic operation."

I assume the document Fernando received must refer to the later version
of the OM-2 vs. the OM-2n.

So if the early OM-2 bodies had center weighted Auto exposure by
crossing a horizontally center weighted curtain pattern with a
vertically center weighted response pattern from the SB cells, the SBC
sensitivity pattern must also have been changed to be full frame
averaging when the pattern was changed.

Perhaps there is more in the document which might shed more light on the
matter.

Moose