[OM] Re: WTT 50f1.2 for 55f1.2

Subject: [OM] Re: WTT 50f1.2 for 55f1.2
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 2004 22:36:57 -0700
Pschings@xxxxxxx wrote:

>Correct me if I'm wrong, but I seem to remember the original poster was
>looking for a 50mm lens that took 55mm filters. The 55/1.2 qualifies, but
>doesn't
>the 50/1.2 take 49mm filters?

Exactly. He proposed trading a 50/1.2 for a 55/1.2, in order to
standardize on 55mm filters. It struck me as odd to intentionally trade
down in lens quality for filter size. I didn't mention step-up rings
because he specifically said he didn't like them. I would put up with a
step-up ring for better lens quality. I did shoot my mouth off about the
lens quality partly because I'm not shy about giving my opinions and
partly in case he was unaware of the performance/usability differences
between the 2 lenses.

>The other choice, that I don't think anyone has mentioned yet, would be the
>50/2 macro.

That would certainly work. I didn't mention it because I figured anybody
with a f1.2  lens looking to trade for another f1.2 lens is looking for
speed.

Moose