[OM] Re: Price of Zuiko 50 3.5 (macro) -- eBay...

Subject: [OM] Re: Price of Zuiko 50 3.5 (macro) -- eBay...
From: "Andreas Pirner" <AndreasPirner@xxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2004 17:35:53 +0200
Simon Worby wrote:
> Jim Timpe wrote:
> > You ever consider sniping it?
> Yes, I always snipe (www.auctionstealer.co.uk).
>
> Basically it turns eBay into a strange sort of sealed bid auction
> (strange because you don't necessarily pay your "maximum" price
> if you win the action, whereas you would in a true sealed bid system).
> It stinks, but so does eBay generally, and it's as a direct
> result of eBay's systems that this habit of "sniping" has
> developed. I don't like doing it, but basically it's the only way.
> Unfortunately, if you don't snipe you put yourself at a huge disadvantage.

Either sniping is not too popular yet among
German eBay auctions, or I just do not recognize
it correctly. If I am after an item, I actually
wait till the last 5 seconds to manually place
my maximum bid. Seldomly a sniper cuts into that.
Most program their snipers for 10 or more seconds
before final. If a sniper still makes it, it is
at a higher price that I was not willing to pay.
More often an earlier bidder overbids me because
he is willing to spend more and has set his max
accordingly. Since I do my stats on eBay sales here
in Germany, I seldomly max-bid much more than the
average minus standard derivation, giving me some
leeway to resell, if the item just does not suit me.
Then taking care for the usual miss-spelling,
wrong categories, odd final times on unpopular
days helps too to shoot cheaply.

Andreas

PS: Sorry Simon if I raised the price too since
I did bid for that macro too (nick: espian). I
just do that for getting the results for my stats.
I shot my 50 3.5 at 77 EURO.