[OM] Re: The monitor debate: LCD vs CRT

Subject: [OM] Re: The monitor debate: LCD vs CRT
From: "C.H.Ling" <chling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2004 22:53:51 +0800
I'm working in the electronic ballast section of a lighting company.
Although I'm not a lamp expert but I know the lamp today is much better than
the old days, many good ones are over 20,000 hours. Using electronic ballast
is one of the reasons that increase the lifetime. If you put it in lower
power the service life will be even longer. I'm setting my LCD at 60% output
(it is already much brighter than my 17" Sony) and I'm not a bit worry about
the lifetime of my LCD.

Modern lamp will not get darker a lot during the service life, I have a 36W
T8 lamp in my kitchen already six year (around four hours a day) without
replacement and it just look as new (ok may be a little darker but it really
going strong and it is running with traditional magnetic ballast.)

The lamp inside the LCD is replaceable and I believe it will be much cheaper
than replay a CRT inside the monitor. Anyway I think the day when my LCD
needs service it will be the time to change to a display with much better
technology.

BTW, don't think that the CRT has even light output, try it out yourself, my
old CRT even has slightly color shift from left to right. My LCD now has +/-
0.1EV light evenness, let's see how it goes.

C.H.Ling