[OM] Re: The monitor debate: LCD vs CRT(OT)

Subject: [OM] Re: The monitor debate: LCD vs CRT(OT)
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2004 23:17:21 -0700
I agree with most of what you say, but have to differ a bit here. I am
not sure what you are talking about when you talk about banding and
gray scale. I have not observed any problem with viewing grey scale
images on my Apple Cinema Display.  Can you explain a bit? Maybe I
don't understand you.

While it is true that the color gamut of a CRT is a little larger than
that of an LCD, According to measurements made by Ian
Lyons(http://www.computer-darkroom.com/acd/acd.htm) the difference is
so small as to be insignificant. You probably would not notice the
difference even if doing professional pre-press work. I believe the
gamut of both is wider than the gamut of the higher quality printing
media available to most people and the argument over which one has the
widest gamut is kind of irrelevant.

Winsor
Long Beach, California
USA