[OM] Re: Digital Dilemma

Subject: [OM] Re: Digital Dilemma
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2004 22:16:57 -0700
OK, so I did a test on the 300D with a 50/1.4
<http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/300Dexp.jpg>.

Should be pretty self-explanatory.

Top row were taken in Auto Mode, starting with f1.4. I just took a shot,
moved the aperture one notch and took another, etc. Bottom row the same
except I adjusted the little arrow to set "match needle" exposure by
changing the shutter speed. All the speeds are those in the EXIF data
from the camera.

Subject is a poster of a Van Gogh painting, in case you were wondering
what would look so odd in the small size.

Looking at the histograms, best exposure is about f2.8@1/80 and
f2@1/160, iso 800, equivalent exposures found in #3, top row and #2,
bottom row. Looks like 300D weirdness is in the opposite direction from
E-1 weirdness, getting darker with smaller apertures. Obviously it is
not linear, settling at about f2.8-f4 with this lens and light level,
then staying pretty much the same. Getting an idea of what is going on
requires a whole set of exposures, particularly at large apertures. The
first 2 Auto shots are definitely overexposed with some blown out
highlights.

While Auto uses evaluative exposure on the 300D, Manual Mode uses center
weighted, with much more stable results. I could just add 1/3 stop plus
exposure compensation and be good an any aperture.

Light level was moderate, I'll try another lens and/or light level.

Moose