[OM] Re: Best Zoom Lens

Subject: [OM] Re: Best Zoom Lens
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2004 17:34:09 -0700
Ahhhh, fodder for a nice long thread with lots of differing opinions.

You can, of course check out Gary's tests of these lenses
<http://members.aol.com/olympusom/lenstests/default.htm>. He also
provides some price info.
You might also look at the eSIF, both because there are lenses not in
your particular lens handbook and because it is such a nice place to
compare their specs on the Lens Group Main Features Table
<cid:part1.08080502.01060309@moosemystic.net>.

Of the lenses not in your handbook, the 70-210/4.5-5.6 and is 1 of the 2
Cosina lenses badged as Zuiko and introduced with the OM2000. It's slow
and not generally very well regarded. The other is the 50-250/5, which
is a later design than the 85-250. It is lighter and smaller, in
addition to having a longer zoom range.

The one thing to be careful of is that a lot of 65-200s develop a haze
on one of the rear elements. As I understand it, left uncleaned, it can
permanently damage the lens element and replacements are not available.
There are examples without this problem, but buyers should be vey careful.

There are all kinds of pro and con opinions on all these lenses in many
threads in the archives. Some are matters of measurable performance,
some matters of taste and some ergonomic, such as 1 vs. 2 touch. I'm
sure others will weigh in with their experience/opinions.

Personally, I think Oly got out of the zoom design business for OM too
early in the longer zoom ranges and never really got in it for WA zooms.
I have a 75-150/4, probably for nostalgic reasons for the first Zuiko
zoom and 85, 90, 100, 135, 200 and 300mm Zuiko primes. However, my many
too many mid to longer zooms are from other manufacturers who made
things Oly never did.

For both speed and sharpness/contrast, the Tamron SP and Tokina AT-X
80-200/2.8 lenses are excellent.

For range and amazing macro with excellent optics, the Tamron SP
60-300/3.8-5.6 and the Tokina 50-250/3.5-4.5 are special.

There are lenses that cover a much broader range than any Zuiko in one
lens. The Tokina AT-X 35-200/3.5-4.5, Kiron 28-210/4-5.6 and Tamron SP
35-210.3.5-4.2 are outstanding examples from the old metal and heavy
school. The Tamron 28-200/3.8-5.6 asph, from the contemporary plastic,
small and light school is way better than one might think.

For speed in short zoom ranges outside the middle, the Tokina AT-X
24-40/2.8 and 60-120/2.8 are unique.

For WA zooms, the 28-48/4 is one of the Zuiko 'consumer' line, marked "S
Zuiko". I believe the general run of opinion is that is a decent lens,
but neither an outstanding performer nor particularly wide. It is
certainly small and light.
The Tamron SP 24-48/3.5-3.8 is well regarded. I personally very much
like the Vivitar S1/Phoenix/?? 19-35/3.5-4.5. Plastic, cheap, light and
an excellent performer. And apparently durable.

Moose