[OM] Re: slightly OT - UK - film scanning - business proposition?

Subject: [OM] Re: slightly OT - UK - film scanning - business proposition?
From: "Piers Hemy" <piers@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2004 21:23:03 +0100
Come at the question from the opposite viewpoint - How much would *you* be
willing to pay for a high quality scan?  Probably no more than the market
rate!

Now take a look in the small ads in AP, see how what the going rate is.
Granted, the going rate is for a plain vanilla scan which is very
significantly below what the 4000ED can do (By comparison, Peak charges
GBP40 for a 100MB scan, decreasing to GBP20 for 25+ but I suspect you would
have difficulty competing with Peak'sestablished market position).

How much time are you willing to devote to receiving the originals, banking
the cheques, running the scans, burning the CDs and packing/shipping the
results?  Is the extra time it takes to do a full-up scan justified by the
higher price you can get compared to the market price?

Perhaps you get my drift...

Depending on your answers, I might just do the same with my 4000ED for 10%
less (see, no barriers to entry to this market!), having established that I
can do 'acceptable' scans from old Kodachromes in about 2 minutes each - but
with no editing/cropping/selective correction at all.

BTW if you *are* thinking of paying that much for a 4000ED, you might want
to think about the 5000ED for 10-15% less.  Or if you are thinking of
getting the slide loader, be sure that it will work with the wide variety of
slide mounts you are going to be feeding through it.

Lest that sounds too 'negative' let me make clear that the first scan I ran
through a 4000ED was a full-on 67MB scan of a slide which had already been
scanned by Peak (CD Archive, 14MB file, GBP 22.50 per CD at time of
processing).  The difference in saturation and shadow detail was astounding.

HTH!

Piers