[OM] Re: slightly OT - UK - film scanning - business proposition?

Subject: [OM] Re: slightly OT - UK - film scanning - business proposition?
From: "Simon Worby" <simon@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2004 21:14:27 +0100
Winsor Crosby  asked:

> Isn't that what commercial establishments all ready do?

I believe so, but apparently only at 2000 dpi if you're lucky.

And I want to be able to select only the ones I want for printing (as it's very
expensive) and I may want to crop beforehand, etc.

I intend to send off only a few high quality images to the printers from each
film on CD to be printed.

My intended procedure is as follows:

Take film
Send off for process & mount
Scan slides in
View slides with projector
Decide on the best ones
Crop, tidy, etc. on PC
Write high quality images to CD
Send off images for professional printing

That way I have quality that is as good as, if not better than, digital. I have
the slides I can project at any size I like, and I have prints of the ones I
want, cropped etc. if required. All at a sensible cost.

Even the projector costs less than a decent DSLR and won't be superseded so
quickly (not likely to be able to scan at > 4000 dpi and also probably not that
much point).

For around a grand, I can continue to use all my old OM kit with almost all the
advantages digital offers (but at a tiny fraction of the cost of digital gear
which will be obsolete and worthless in 2 years anyway).

Regards,

Simon