[OM] Re: 100mmF2

Subject: [OM] Re: 100mmF2
From: NSURIT@xxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2004 08:56:25 EDT

In a message dated 9/15/2004 7:11:22 AM Central Standard Time,
mattb@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:

How does  the 90mm F2 stack up against the 100mm F2? I have been tossing
up for a  while about which one I want, and since I don't do a lot of
macro, I was  thinking about the 100mm F2.

Let me not answer your question this way.  I have the 90mm f2 and not  the
100mm f2 although I do have the 100mm f2.8, which I happen to like at a cost
of
perhaps 20% to 25% of what a 100mm f2 would cost.  If money is not  part of
the equation, I'd get both the 90mm f2 and the 100mm f2. That is  not the case
for most of us.  Another alternative one might consider when  faced with this
decision is the Tamron SP 90mm f2.5 (the old model  52B which takes the 49mm
filters is my favorite) at somewhere around $100  to $150.  If you get one try
to find one with its 23F hood as the hoods are  difficult to find.  Both the
90mm and 100mm Zuikos are relatively heavy  lenses as is the 90mm Tamron SP.

As I stroll into left field, let me further cloud the water.  One  day you
will cross the Rubicon and get a digital camera and you may find  yourself
contemplating the same question, although with the e-1 it would be  about a 45
or
50mm lens which would give you an OM 90mm or 100mm  equivalent.  Assuming you
haven't sold all your film based equipment at  that point, you may find
yourself doing what I am currently having a blast  doing and that is using some
of my
OM gear with my e-1.   When I use  my 50mm f1.8, I have a 35mm equivalent of
100mm f1.8 which isn't too bad,  however what currently resides in my e-1 kit
is a 55mm f1.2, which gives me a  110mm f1.2 equivalent that focuses very
close.

So were I facing the question of 90mm f2 or 100mm f2 Zuiko at $1000, I  might
take a serious look at crossing the Rubicon and buying an e-1 for a  few
dollars more. Your OM lenses will be manual focus with the e-1, but  they are
already that way with your OMs.  They will also be manual  exposure, however
that
is how I make my OM exposures anyway.

Perhaps the thing you need to keep in mind, is that when acquiring things
Olympus, you won't make any mistakes buying something if it adds to or expands
your kit. There are ZA meetings held weekly in your area.  Check their
website for a location near you. { ;^)  Bill Barber