[OM] which slide film?

Subject: [OM] which slide film?
From: James Michael King <jking@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2004 11:47:08 +0100 (BST)
this email is probably going to cause groans and maybe a holy war or two
but here goes anyway.

Until about a month ago I was only using fuji print film but was never
that happy with the results when I scanned them in using a minolta dual
scan 4. I upgraded to the scan elite 5400 but still was not impressed.
My father ( a long time slide film user) suggested dumping print film and
going over to slides. So I brought 4 cheap fuji sensia slide films and went
to the local part (my usual film testing ground) with an om 3 and a tamron
90mm F2.5 lens and olympus 35-70 F3.6. I was very impressed with the results
when scanned in and can see that the limiting factor in the quality was
the print film rather than the scanner.

I now have the urge to go back and re-photograph many of the places I
visited in China over the last 4 years or but want to do so with the best
film available. I mainly take still life and
architecture/temples/golden buddas, sun rises and sun sets and
water refleections. I use s tripod and run at F8 or F11 for
maximum resolution but often because of the lack of light in
temples and their dislike of cameras I have to poke a 24mm or 21mm wide
angle through the temple door on a tripod and use shutter
speeds of up to 8 or 10 seconds! Therefore I am interested to know
what films the group would recommend?

I would also like to ask
1. In the uk fuji sensia slide film is about half the prove of velvia,
provia and astia. Is the additional cost of these films worthwhile over
the sensia?

2. I managed to find some technical specifications for sensia, provia and
velvia on fujis web site. I see that the velvia 50 is not sutable for me
because it can't handle long exposures without filters and compensation.
However, I could not find any specs for astia and the specs for sensia
don't say if it is ok for long exposures. does any one know?

3. if astisa is suitable for me does it justify the extra price premium
over provia 100F or velvia 100F?

Regards and thanks for reading
James