[OM] Re: 50-250 shots, was 85-250/5

Subject: [OM] Re: 50-250 shots, was 85-250/5
From: Chris Barker <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2004 21:52:44 +0100
Thanks Moose.

I don' t use the Save for Web function.  It seems like a waste of time:
it merely tells me that jpeg is a good plan when I already know that.
I don' really use layers either (my lessons have not reached that bit
yet ;-)).

When I have worked on a newly scanned file to my satisfaction, I save
it as a compressed TIF (LZW).  Then I size the file for the web (using
Bicubic Sharper resampling) and save the newly sized file as a jpeg.
At which stage might the IPTC get lost?

Chris

On 30 Aug 2004, at 20:50, Moose wrote:

> Chris Barker wrote:
>
>> Thanks Moose.  I see that you are awake at the crack of sparrow-fart
>> again ;-).
>>
> No sparrows up and about at that hour here. :-)
>
>> Hmmm, if I use Photoshop CS to put Title, Description or Copyright
>> information in with an image file, is that not EXIF data?  Or is that
>> IPTC, or proprietary to PS?
>>
> I think of it as IPTC, 'cause that's what the CS file viewer calls it.
>
>> Anyway, I had hoped that the information that I saved with the files
>> (I
>> always do) would be available to anyone who wished to examine the
>> files.
>>
> The problem is the ImageReady Save for Web function. It strips out all
> image info. At least this is the case in the Windoze version.
>
> The solution is to simply prepare the image for the web in PS proper
> and
> Save As => JPEG. That way you get all the file info in the JPEG. I
> think
> Fred Miranda's Web Present Pro (WPPro) does a better job than the
> downsizing/sharpen techniques I tried to master combined with Save for
> Web anyway. I just flatten the layers, size it with WPPro and save as a
> JPEG.
>
> Moose

<|_:-)_|>

C M I Barker