[OM] Re: 8/27 fragment of my day

Subject: [OM] Re: 8/27 fragment of my day
From: Chris Barker <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2004 12:54:07 +0100
I bow to your greater experience of the subject Moose.  I have just
been reading a book ("Kngs of Albion", Julian Rathbone) in which one of
the characters, an inhabitant of southern India, sees a water lily in
Europe and recognises it as a lotus.  The book is part fiction, part
historical documentary (the Wars of the Roses in England), so perhaps
this was the author's personal supposition rather than one of the
factual bits ;-).

Chris

On 29 Aug 2004, at 6:03, Moose wrote:

> Both are members of family Nymphaeaceae, perhaps. Water lillies, of
> which there are hundreds of commercial varieties,  are of genus
> Nymphaea. White Egyptian Lotuses are of the same genus. The Indian
> Lotus
> is Genus Nelumbo, although according to one site, "Many botanists place
> the genus Nelumbo in its own family, the Nelumbonaceae."
>
> Whatever the botanists say, the many water lillies I have seen are
> different in many ways from the Indian Lotus in size, coloration, shape
> of petals, seed pod, leaves and height above the water. In the photo I
> posted <http://moosemystic.net/Gallery/IMG_1111.jpg>, the little red
> flowers on the lower right are water lillies.
>
> Moose
>
> Chris Barker wrote:
>
>> Aren't they the same thing, given different names by different races
>> or
>> ethnic groups?

<|_:-)_|>

C M I Barker