[OM] Re: [OT] Steam Locomotives

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] Steam Locomotives
From: Stephen Troy <sctroy@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2004 14:21:30 -0400
At 10:21 AM 08/19/2004 -0600, jmac wrote:

>My father always had a particular fascination for the huge Mallet
>locomotives that pulled very long trains in the plains states and southwest
>US. They were basically two boilers on an articulating frame layout. Huge
>and powerful. /jmac

Not only in the plains and southwest, but here in the eastern US as well.
Here is one my grandfather ran in the 1940's in Pennsylvania:

http://www.readingrailroad.org/gallery/images/steam/rdg_gallery_steam1821.jpg

(Reading Class N-1 2-8-8-2 for those interested)

They only had one, not two, boilers.  They did have two sets of driving
cylindars, though.  The rear set of driving wheels were rigidly fastened to
the frame, but the front set were articulated and would swing out from
under the boiler on a sharp curve.

He derailed one of these once with the front set of drivers going off the
track to the left and the rear set going off to the right!

Steve Troy