[OM] Re: Steam Locomotives

Subject: [OM] Re: Steam Locomotives
From: hiwayman@xxxxxxx (Walt Wayman)
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2004 15:51:53 +0000
I recall a trip with my parents from Knoxville to New York when I was about
seven or eight years old.  We boarded a Southern Railway train pulled by a
steam locomotive.  Somewhere along the way -- West Virginia or Pennsylvania, I
think -- much to my horror, although we were still in the same car, I could see
looking out the window that we now were being pulled along by an electric
engine.  They must have made the swap under cover of darkness because it came
as quite a shock to me.  With no smoke and those ugly wires overhead, I recall
being quite upset.  I think it left me scarred for life when it comes to rail
travel.

On the other hand, I wouldn't mind taking a ride one of those 200 mph monorail
thingies I see occasionally on the Discovery Channel.  I suppose I could swap
smoke for speed at least once.  What shutter speed should I use on an OM so as
not to have the countryside be a blur?

Walt

--
"Progress might have been all right
once, but it's gone on too long." -- Ogden Nash

-------------- Original message from Matthew Born : --------------