[OM] Re: Gayton Northamptonshire #3

Subject: [OM] Re: Gayton Northamptonshire #3
From: "Scott Gomez" <scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2004 20:09:40 -0700
No kidding? I grew up less than 2 miles from the American Locomotive
Works in Schenectady (which you have spelled properly, BTW). ALCO was
rather a sad place, really. ALCO were late to embrace the rapid
diesel-ization of the US railroads, and just sort of shriveled away
under the onslaught of GM and GE--neither of which built locomotives in
Schenectady.

There was an occasional steamer in when I was quite young, but by the
time I'd finished primary school they were all gone. We used to go down
to a hump yard at the base of our street to pick up stray chunks of
anthracite coal from the verge.

OM Content: Somewhere I have some pics of a Southern Pacific "Daylight"
Special that came through this area a few years back.

---
Scott Gomez