[OM] Re: Gayton Northamptonshire #3 and steam engines...OT

Subject: [OM] Re: Gayton Northamptonshire #3 and steam engines...OT
From: "Piers Hemy" <piers@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2004 11:28:04 +0100
I can only vouch for a visit to Waterloo in probably 1956/57 to see the
wondrous Golden Arrow - with a decorative headboard carried by a simmering
steam locomotive with streamlined 'bodywork' (which I assume was a Bulleid
Pacific) - whose rolling stock was certainly bound for Paris via ferry.
Roger knows more than I about the cross-channel arrangements which I knew
about only from a Ladybird book.  Suffice to say that on hearing that my
father had to go to "the Continent" on business, I had visions of the ferry
moving as the rolling stock was shunted on board.

How interesting that so many of us share similar pre-OM memories!

Piers, whose family left London in 1958, and who therefore went to school
'oop north' - too far to Dulwich College, chaps (or Downside), but I did go
by steam hauled train!